Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Overcoming Abandonment

This appeared on Post Secret last Sunday.
Here is the email I sent to Post Secret in response:

Frank,

I was instantly brought to tears by the JC Penny Catalog Customer postcard where the sender had written, "Everytime you come home late, I'm afraid you've left me just like my Dad did." in the blanks on the card.

In the past year I've begun to realize that I've suffered from the same fear my whole life. The difference for me was that as a child I always felt abandoned by both of my parents - even though they were both present in my life. It has negatively affected every relationship I have ever had. Because of it, I never allowed myself to trust or get truly close to another person. Last February after being left by my long-time lover, the loneliness became too much to handle and I attempted to take my own life.

Through the process of picking up the pieces and slowly putting my life back together, I have been able to finally let go of my abandonment issues. It is amazing what path life puts you on once you are able to confront and overcome your deepest fears. I want to tell the person who sent in the secret that I hope someday they can learn to trust again too. You did not ask for him to leave you, so stop letting him do it over and over. I'm so glad I have finally decided to stay and I hope you will too.

- Indiana

8 comments:

danielle said...

i just bought the "post secret" book. i spent most of last night thumbing through it. it is an absolutely inspirting, entertaining, and though-provoking book. if you're a regular visitor to the blog, i recomend you purchase the book.

alan said...

I am glad you stayed!

alan

ToadyJoe said...

Progress! And now it looks like you're ready for the next step, which is accepting someone into your life and NOT fearing abandonment at every turn. ((hugs)) Bless you!

Christopher said...

I am Smilin' with you, blessed to be one of your online friends.

I n g e r said...

So happy to see you back here again--and good to hear how you're sounding. I'm glad you stayed, too.

xoxox

Blogzie said...

Absolutely I'm happy that you are still here and I'm so happy to see that you are dealing with your issues and moving forward.

Please know that it is okay to be alone.

It's how we grow as individuals.

I'm still working on it my own self.

x0x0x

Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

Abandonement the Big Bad experience, shared by many...

Hope to find you well - Sublime -this holiday weekend. Happy 4th of July!

Got an invitation for you and/or anyone you might know with a “wacky bag”
Here it goes - Call for entry:

Wacky Bag World – First International – Cyber Exhibition
I would love you or anyone you know to enter a photo and brief story of the “wacky bag”
I would love to make this a fun-fun-fun project for all.
Interested parties may contact me through site email.

There is already one entry… mine!
Hope you share this wacky project with many and see the results on http://wackybagworld.blogspot.com

Looking forward to hearing back from you and all the fuss and fun to come

Joy to you
-.a.-

Anne-Marie said...

Hi,
I think it bears repeating that it is fine to enjoy your own company.

Add me to the "I'm glad you stayed" chorus.

Cheers,
AM